Monday, September 12, 2011

Pottery Barn Knock-off Cork Board

I love Pottery Barn!
I do NOT love their prices!

So...... I improvise:)

I had an open space in my kitchen that was just begging for a cork board. I wanted this one:

Linen Pinboard

The size I needed (36x24) was $100!! Plus shipping.

I knew I could do better than that.

A couple of years ago, I had these 2 huge frames in my family room:

(See them back there?? It's the only picture I could find.....)

At some point, one of the pieces of glass cracked so I threw it out, but kept the frame. I wasn't sure why, but I thought i'd be able to use it for something.

I'm sure you can guess where i'm going with this story.......:)

I bought a pack of 12x12 cork tiles at TARGET for about $10 and nailed them to my wall to create my 24x36 cork board:


(Ignore the different colors of paint.... I painted the kitchen recently and went around the cork board)

Next, I nailed a piece of material that I had lying around. I think it used to be an old tablecloth:


I screwed in the old frame - spray painted black - right to the wall (the tiles fit inside perfectly!!)


And pinned up my calendar and other crap important papers that I need handy...... like the girls lunch schedule, spelling test words, doctor's appointments etc.


Supplies:
cork tiles ~ $10
old frame ~ had it already
Spray paint (optional) ~ had it already
Piece of fabric ~ had it already

Not bad for $10!!

PS The other frame from my "before" photo also has a new life. I'll show that soon!


Totally Tutorials Tuesday

2 comments:

  1. What a great project!! I have a space just like that in my kitchen. Didn't know you could get the cork at Target. Great tip. Thanks for linking up to Totally Tutorials Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOMElicious!

    Thanks for linking up to Totally Tutorial Tuesdays.

    Jessica
    http://myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete