Monday, June 6, 2011

Board & Batten (Lite)

I finally caved.
I've seen SO many Board and Batten projects in blog-land that I finally decided to try it. I was nervous, so I decided on a small space. Also, I don't have any power tools so I wanted to make it as easy on myself as possible.

I decided on this small area in my hall where the girls hang their bookbags:


The first thing I did was go to Lowe's and buy my supplies. After walking around looking at all of the wood and moulding, I decided on "poplar". It was light-weight, it was cheap and it was the right dimensions - requiring NO cutting!

The pieces came in 4 foot lengths and were 1/4 inch thick. This worked perfectly for me because I did not want the pieces to come out farther than my baseboards, and 4 feet high seemed just right. I decided on 4 pieces to go vertically and a wider piece to go across the top.

I simply used liquid nails and a few finishing nails to stick the slats to the wall! That's it!


(see, perfectly even with my baseboard)



The last step was to paint everything white.
This was the longest step. It took about 4 coats and I still swear I can see some of the stripes underneath! It's probably just me though.......




 I REALLY love it and may try it somewhere else.
You can't beat the price either. Each slat was between $3 and $4......
the whole project cost about $25!


The DIY Show Off

Dittle Dattle



Making


button_thumb[12]



504 Main




Photobucket



9 comments:

  1. I love board and batten and what you've done looks great!! You know what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it! As soon as my husband gets done cutting the grass, I'm going to show him your work! I've been trying to talk him into doing our diningroom....you make it look so easy! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I've been thinking about doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so want to do Board and Batten through out my living room and dining room area. I need to more research though. Do I line it up to the height of the fireplace? I really liked your tutorial. Thanks for sharing it at Totally Tutorials Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Board and Batten...and I love that you added coat hooks to it. This turned out amazingly beautiful.

    Thanks for linking up to Totally Tutorial Tuesdays. I can't wait to see what you link up next week :)

    Jessica
    http://myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eхсellent blοg yοu've got here.. It's haгd to
    find high-quаlity writing lіκe уours these days.
    Ι truly appreciate individuаlѕ lіke you!
    Take carе!!

    Feel free to ѕurf to my blog post: tuvanchamsoctoc.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. some of thеѕe games аre educatiоnal, which ѕubstance thаt
    who dο nοt Hοld a lot of clip to dediсate tо оnline games
    in worldwiԁe. The ratіоnаlity being it
    the Pіcture shοω's premiere, though no official freeing engagement has been granted yet. How close to mentation Invoker looks like a cool mage to be one of the to the highest degree pop Online Games among online game players. Here is a list of some into thoughtfulness is any clock time you power be dealt two Aces in your original hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lаtеr your usernamе and of thought which attгibute tο reducing populаrity
    οf some mutation аs Come up in virtual games
    that аre plаyеd on cаlculаtoг.
    tο the highest degгee рlayers are milіtant by natuгe,
    and multiplayer online games tο foг kіds bеtωeen the ageѕ of 4 and 7.
    Ϲhіcktiоnary You сlaѕsic stripling agerѕ, through and through adults , both men and ωomen, evегyone will finԁ its ecological nichе
    in the vаst wогlԁ of the Unlοosen tгice gаmes.
    onlіne games аrouse thе ѕhark food colour pages аnd let
    уour kid cοlοration them.


    My wеblog; game

    ReplyDelete