I finally caved.
I've seen SO many Board and Batten projects in blog-land that I finally decided to try it. I was nervous, so I decided on a small space. Also, I don't have any power tools so I wanted to make it as easy on myself as possible.
I decided on this small area in my hall where the girls hang their bookbags:
The first thing I did was go to Lowe's and buy my supplies. After walking around looking at all of the wood and moulding, I decided on "poplar". It was light-weight, it was cheap and it was the right dimensions - requiring NO cutting!
The pieces came in 4 foot lengths and were 1/4 inch thick. This worked perfectly for me because I did not want the pieces to come out farther than my baseboards, and 4 feet high seemed just right. I decided on 4 pieces to go vertically and a wider piece to go across the top.
I simply used liquid nails and a few finishing nails to stick the slats to the wall! That's it!
(see, perfectly even with my baseboard)
The last step was to paint everything white.
This was the longest step. It took about 4 coats and I still swear I can see some of the stripes underneath! It's probably just me though.......
I REALLY love it and may try it somewhere else.
You can't beat the price either. Each slat was between $3 and $4......
the whole project cost about $25!